Technology is becoming advanced and that is why we need to stay updated to avail the benefits that it is offering to us. The technological sector is growing at its peak and people have started making good use of the advancements that they offer. Every sector is using one or the other technological tool in their business that is helping them in so many ways. The word application is the most common nowadays because you may have heard about so many applications in your daily routine. Even businesses are using applications in their operations.
From connecting with the customers to providing ease to their employees they are making use of mobile applications. The rising use of applications has also raised concern for the security of these applications. The mobile applications that we are using hold a large amount of data, especially in the business world. Every pinch of data is important and sensitive that the businesses cannot afford to share it. That is why there is a huge need for app security. Many service providers are available who are offering services relating to your application security. All you need to do is to implement or install them on your device.
There are so many risks that are attached to your mobile application for which you need protection like malware attacks, unauthorized access, etc. Here we will discuss OWASP top 10 security risks that are being faced by the applications. These are:
- No proper use of the platform: This risk is associated with the improper use of the operating system or the platform. This risk can affect your application in many ways. This includes the leakage of data stored in your application, sniffing of the intent, keychain risk, risk of touch ID, and so on. You need to adopt some good practices to avoid them.
- No proper data storage: This is also one of the major risks in this list. It includes the file system compromising the identity, violation of privacy, etc. The data which is not secured or stored properly will be exploited due to unauthorized access. The best practices need to be adopted to avoid or eliminate these risks.
- Unsecure transmission of data: The various tools are available that can be used to fetch the information that is transmitted via any network. If the data transmission process is not secure, then there are chances that the information stored or shared through it will be leaked. There will be a place where an unauthorized or MITM can interfere and attack the data. You need to keep a check on this issue to solve or avoid it.
- The authentication issues: If the process of authenticating the right user is not sufficient or accurate then these risks arise. If the adversary will be considered as the original user of that application, you may have to face many difficulties. The adversary may use different protocols to have access over your application. It is important to make use of online methods for the purpose of authentication. Put more emphasis on setting passwords like the use of alphanumeric to make it complicated.
- Cryptography issues: If the encryption in your application is weak then there is much vulnerability associated with it. The risks associated with this are theft of data, easy access to the encrypted files, and so on. The use of modern techniques can be initiated to avoid this risk. There are set standards available that should be followed for secure encryption and make sure your application meets those set standards.
- Unauthorized access: In this risk, the person who is not allowed to access will make use of the application and will take advantage of it. The unauthorized people then try to gain access to the main point to get a command over the application. The focus of the developers should be on both offline as well as in online mode to avoid any kind of mishappening. The permissions should be granted only after the various permission checks.
- Code quality issues: If there is any kind of inconsistency in the coding process then your application is at risk. This can be due to developers using different codes, etc. The best practices to be adopted to avoid these risks are static analysis, use of a particular code, listing third party libraries, etc.
- Risk of code tampering: The risk of code tampering is common as hackers prefer this over others. They are making users download the tampered versions so that they can have access over their application. The malware infusion, theft of data, etc are the risks under this.
- Reverse engineering: The different tools are available that are sued by the hackers like a hopper, tool, etc. The risks involved can be code theft, languages that are prone to dynamic inspection, etc. The different practices to avoid the risk of reverse engineering will include the use of the consistent or same tools, code obfuscation, use of C languages like C++ and C, etc.
- The extraneous risks: The risks relating to the functionality are the ones that allowed the unauthorized person to have access to the database, user permissions, etc. To avoid this issue, you can ensure that there are no hidden switches, well documented endpoints, etc.
So, these are the OWASP 10 that you should know because they are related to your application. All these risks should be identified on time and the best practices should be adopted to eliminate these risks. The most important thing for every business is the security of their customers, the data that they store, their next moves, and so on. They cannot allow any unauthorized person to have access to this data and that is why they must understand the need for app security. Instead of regretting the theft of sensitive data, you must make use of the right security solutions available that ensure the protection of your application from these risks, malware attacks, and much more. So, if you want to build your image in society or in the minds of your customers make use of AppSealing so that you can guarantee them the security that they are looking for.